John King has a number of interesting pictures that he has acquired over the years and he would like to share these views with visitors to this site. In some cases the source of the pictures, and indeed their location, is unknown, so if you can help with the missing information, this would be most welcomed. Due acknowledgement is made to the unknown photographers.
Click on any thumbnail for a larger image but wait until all thumbnails have downloaded
|The Trolleybus Collection
Between Aurelia Road and the Lombard roundabout.
On Anerley Hill
Perhaps in July 1936
This unnamed road was constructed for the diversion of traffic from the East India Dock Road at Poplar, while roadwork's were occurring in connection with Blackwall Tunnel.
Kingsway, North Finchley with the Gaumont cinema [now sadly demolished] behind. With the tram tracks still visible in the road, the picture must be of early/pre-war vintage, possibly on the first day of public service.
London 260 turning at the Bear Inn terminus at Tilehurst whilst on tour of the Reading system in July 1967.
From: "Irvine Bell" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Barnet. The RM behind the 609
must have been a Highgate [HT] Sunday or Bank Holiday only 609 working. Hence picture would have been taken between
when HT closed to trolleybuses [about April 1961] and November 1961 when the 609 was converted exactly to the [then]
104 with the first RMLs. I believe some of those RMLs [880 - 903?] may still be running!
At the junction of Abbott Road with Aberfeldy Street, Poplar. The trolleybus is heading for Poplar depot.
Turning from Drew Street into Aberfeldy Street, Poplar using new wiring erected in May 1958.
Tottenham Court Road. Trolleybus EXV 354 is about to turn into the Howland Street near where the post office tower is now. The Mortimer Arms on the corner of Capper Street was still there is 1975 [it may still be], but the buildings further along the road had been demolished and a new building was going up. Tottenham Court Road is now one way in the other direction to which the trolleybus is travelling.
|Some tram pictures taken in, and around, Croydon
Feltham 2152 waits for the lights while the E/3 on the route 42 [adjacent picture] pulls out of Brigstock Road. The photographer had his back to the 'Fortuneef' depot entrance which was seldom penetrated by enthusiasts.
E3-1909 at the bottom of Brigstock Road, Thornton Heath.
From: "Henery Overall" <email@example.com>
Left England for Canada in 1959. Still clearly remember the noise of the trams rounding the curves at 'Fortuneef' Pound on late rainy evenings.
Timetables: Routes 16/18 Route 42
From: "Terry Russell" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The Southmet car is standing just short of the Crystal Palace terminus with brakes well wound on, having just ascended Anerley Hill. The tram driver and conductor rest inside the tram in this picture which was probably taken in 1934.
At Crystal Palace in trolleybus days, it was not supposed to have two buses at the final stop at once. This concept was probably true in the tramway era, even though the terminal stub, approached by a facing cross-over, may have been able to accommodate two trams. If the occupant of the terminal stub was not due to leave, trams would stop in the position shown in the picture with the crew quickly off to obtain refreshment.
From: "Chris Cook" <email@example.com>
The run of boundary walls is still recognisable today.
[Speculation: Maybe on a Services or Navy Day at The Crystal Palace itself? There is a poster on the rear of the tram and a sailor walking up the hill].
From: "John Prentice" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
High Street, Croydon sometime between 1902 and 1906. The tram is one of a batch [36-45] built for Croydon by Milnes in 1902, and which were transferred to SouthMet in 1906. The fixed wooden destinations were also of the type used 1902-1906, before which they were paper stuck on the front, after that were roller blind boxes. I cannot be sure of the photographer, but is probably C.H.Price.
From Purley, alternate cars ran to Thornton Heath [up Brigstock Road] or to Norbury. The destination boards were not changed at termini indicating that specific trams were confined to one route. The intermediate place names on the destination boards were West & South Croydon.
Then and Now - Two pictures separated by almost a hundred years.
From: "Terry Russell" <email@example.com>
Once the LCC linked up with CCT, there was probably insufficient traffic for 3 routes to Purley. The Thornton Heath and Norbury termini to Purley service was the equivalent to the 16 & 18 intensity. The 2 was introduced when the CCT E/1's were obtained to differentiate from the 16/18 cars in the town. Prior to that there were no route numbers.
North End, Croydon
A much photographed position by the Alms Houses. The overhead wiring and track work swinging to the right was only used for depot runs to feed vehicles onto the Addiscombe branch which terminated just round the corner in George Street.
London Road c1898. The pub on the right with the ladder leaning up the wall is the Rising Sun. It was still there, at 304 London Road, in 1996.
Then and Now
Croydon Corporation Tramways car #6 in George Street on the Addiscombe branch in early days. The service was discontinued on 28 March 1927 to avoid prohibitively expensive track work refurbishment. Trolleybuses were considered as a replacement service but the funds available were used instead to order new trams for working the extended routes into London.
High Street Penge, Looking towards Thicket Road. The entrance to Penge West Railway Station is seen on the left.
|A couple of pre-war pictures at the Aquarium Terminus, Brighton
Taken at the Aquarium, Old Steine terminus by a local newspaper [The Evening Argus] photographer. Trolleybus services started on 1 May 1939 on Service 48 [Aquarium, Old Steine - Barracks, Lewes Road]. #29 [FUF 29] is seen in the background on this service. Tram services ended on the night of 31 August 1939. Tram #68 is caught on one of the last services [Q] to Queen's Park Road. In the foreground, #36 [FUF 36] is seen on the short lived circular service route 40. This operated only from 17 July 1939 until 31 August 1939, narrowing down the time frame when this photograph could have been taken. It is a delightful picture of times long gone.
Seen at the Aquarium terminus are Tram #25 on the Ditchling Road Route 'D' and Brighton Corporation Trolleybus #5 on Route 48 [previously Tram Route 'L'] bound for Lewes Road.
Brighton Picture Gallery
Memories of trams.
"Hugh Taylor" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
"Andrew Henbest" <email@example.com> for additional caption and routing information.