Hill of Howth
The Hill of Howth tramway opened on 17th June 1901 from Sutton to the summit and then the
section from the summit down to Howth on 1st August of the same year
This service was preceded by a horse bus which had run since 1867.
The main steam railway reached Howth Harbour in 1847
The Hill of Howth tramway, in NE County Dublin, was the last tramway in Ireland
The service ceased on 31st May 1959
Site Visitor Feedback External Link on the Tramway A Book on the Tramway
Click on any thumbnail for a larger image but wait until all thumbnails have downloaded
Tram #3 shortly to leave Howth Station for Sutton.
Summit Halt, the highest point on the 5 mile Sutton - Howth route. The view is taken facing northwards in the direction of Howth Village. On the left of the tramway is the waiting room and on the right, hidden from view, are two general stores, Gaffney's and McElroy's, and a pub, also owned by Gaffney.
From: "Mike Delaney" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Many thanks for the pictures of the Howth Tram. I spent many happy hours riding this as a youngster!
Tram #4 is on the decent from the Summit to the Train Station at Howth. it had passed through "Kruger's Cutting" and it is coming up behind the Grace O'Malley Housing estate. The building in the background is Howth National School [Scoil Mhuire].
This view is parallel to Station Road with Sutton Cross 200 yards to the right and Sutton Station 25 yards to the left on the opposite side of the road.
Tram #9 inside Sutton Shed.
This tram has been restored and is now at the National Transport Museum, Howth, Co. Dublin.
On system closure, sister car #10 was acquired by the National Tramway Museum at Crich in Derbyshire, re-gauged to 4'-8½", and is on display there. Not thought to be in service.
Fintona Horse Tramway. There was only one tram for this ½ mile 'branch line' seen here arriving at Fintona terminus. It connected with the GNR at Fintona Junction.
The Hill of Howth Tramway was 5.19 miles in length and ran along the Howth peninsula between Howth and Sutton,
using the Irish standard gauge of 5ft 3ins. The first section [between Sutton and the Summit] was opened on
the 17th June 1901, under the Great Northern Railway [Ireland] Act of 1897, with the remaining section opening
on the 1st August.
"Philip Morgan" <email@example.com>,
"Kevin Rickard" <firstname.lastname@example.org> and
"Wilson Adams" <email@example.com> for help with caption information.